Welcome to Year 6!
Croeso i Blwyddyn 6!
Teacher: Mr Blumberg and Miss Woolley
Welcome to our Year 6 class page!
Welcome back to a brand new academic year at Pencaerau Primary School. We hope you have had a great Summer Holiday and are looking forward to starting the new school year.
This half term's topic is called
'Heroes and Villains!'
This project has a history focus and teaches children about heroes
and villains from different periods of history, their motives, their
beliefs and the ways in which they changed the world. At the heart
of this project children write persuasively in the form of reports and
letters, and additional skills in writing biographies and speeches.
In the Innovate Stage children apply their skills and understanding
by becoming an historical hero for the children of 2090.
In this project the children will learn:
• How to research using a range of historical source materials including ICT and the media;
• The chronological order of a range of significant people throughout history and about the times in which they lived and how this influenced them;
• About a range of influential historical figures and about their beliefs and actions;
• About contemporary heroes and villains;
• How to write in a range of forms to persuade people;
• Why laws and social change comes about from the impact of heroes and villains;
• How to perform an influential speech.
Monday 7th September - Friday 18th September
We've had a wonderful two weeks settling into Year 6. We have started our new topic and have researched many interesting people from the past. For example; Nelson Mandela, Anne Frank, Rosa Parks, Helen Keller, Gandhi etc. We've enjoyed using the computers, ipads and books to help us find out as much as we can about these people.
We have also been thinking about our own heroes and have created Powerpoint presentations about them. We will be performing these presentations to our class next week.