Welcome to Year Five's class page.
Croeso i'r Blwyddyn Pump.
Teacher: Mr Lane
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Romanelli
Our Topic for this term is 'Beast Creator'
This project has a science focus which teaches the children about the life cycles and habitats, body parts and functions of different minibeasts in the locality and beyond. At the heart of this project the children will learn how to write narrative fantasy stories on the theme of minibeasts and develop additional skills in note making, scientific and technical language and recording and explanation skills.
This week we were lucky enough to have a visit from the fire service. They reminded us all about what we should do if we encounter a fire at home. We had some brilliant questions and even better answers. We even got to see and learn about the fire rescue uniform. We would like to thank the fire service for keeping us safe at all times.
Our topic for this term will be ‘Gallery!’
This project has an art focus and explores the artwork of a variety of artists from different periods of history and develops children’s painting skills using a range of materials. At the heart of this project children learn how to write classically structured poetry and develop additional skills in the use of figurative language and descriptive vocabulary. In the Innovate Stage children apply their skills and understanding by opening their own art gallery to exhibit their work on a local and national scale. In this project the children will learn:
· How the work of various artists throughout history has been used to express their views, and how artists’ work reflected the times they lived in;
· How artists use various skills to work with different media;
· How art and poetry can be used to express the views of the
· How to write a poem on a theme using figurative and expressive language.
· How to organise a display of artwork;
· How to use ICT to find information, display information and create art;
· How to use art and poetry to express feelings and opinions.
This project has a science focus and teaches children about the
changing state of materials including solids, liquids and gases. At the
heart of this project children write autobiographies and biographies
of famous scientists and develop additional skills in recording
investigations and fair tests using scientific formats and vocabulary.
In the Innovate Stage children apply their skills and understanding
by creating their own products to sell in the gift shop ‘Potions’ using
what they have learnt about materials and their changing properties.
In this project the children will learn:
• About processes which change the state of a range of materials
including freezing, melting, boiling, drying, dissolving and burning;
• How materials can be separated by filtering and sieving;
• How we use these processes in our everyday lives;
• How to carry out fair tests and investigations;
• About the features of autobiographical and biographical writing
and how to use these to write about themselves and others;
• How to carry out tests and investigations safely and with attention
• How to use maths including measures and money in a real life
We have been researching probably to most famous and lucrative potion of our time - Coca-Cola. We have been looking at the company and brand through time to understand why Coca-Cola is so popular. We then took time to decide what we would like to learn about this term as a class in relation to our new topic 'Potions'.
Our Topic - Heroes and Villains
Our Topic - Bend and Flow
Our topic this term is Bend and Flow. It has a geography focus and teaches children about rivers, rainfalls, soils and the impact of water on the local community. At the heart of this project children will learn to write poetry about rivers and develop additional skills in persuasive and report writing.
This week we have been working on our oracy skills. In order to progress to writing detailed and interesting newspaper reports we need to understand the power of direct speech and the impact of interviews.